Saturday, July 31, 2021
HomeCultureBachelor NZ slammed by minister

Bachelor NZ slammed by minister

It’s probably safe to assume Women’s Minister Louise Upston won’t be tuning in to watch the New Zealand version of reality TV show The Bachelor.

“It’s fair to say that kind of stuff makes my skin crawl,” Upston told The Dominion Post.

The show is scheduled to debut on TV3 next year, and will feature two dozen Kiwi bachelorettes pitted against each other to win the affections of a single man through a series of group dates and one-on-one dates.

Council of Trade Unions president, Helen Kelly, said: “The show degrades real relationships. It’s a stereotype thing of men and women, and it’s pretty unhelpful.”

Rachel Lorimer, spokeswoman for New Zealand programme creator MediaWorks, said “the goal was to create a genuine lasting relationship, and potentially love.”

She added: “We know Kiwi women are savvy enough to understand what’s involved in entering a competition like this, and we have had an incredible response to our More FM bachelorette casting call.”

Announcing the Kiwi version of the show last month, MediaWorks group entertainment content director Andrew Szusterman, said: “The Bachelor New Zealand’s aim is to find true love in a world where online dating is now a norm.

“At MediaWorks we have a history of playing matchmaker. The Edge radio station set the ball rolling 15 years ago with ‘Two Strangers and a Wedding’, and we’re glad to say that all these years on the winners of the competition, Paula and Zane are still happily married. The Bachelor New Zealand will aim to do the same.”

Greg Wattam
Greg has had a radio career spanning over 20 years. He has worked in China, the USA, Australia and New Zealand. Greg started his career at Radio Windy in Wellington and was on the first privately-owned FM radio station in Hawkes Bay. He is also an award-winning chef.
RELATED ARTICLES
Continue to the category

Most Popular

Recent Comments