Saturday, July 31, 2021
HomeLatest NewsBattery burns baby's throat

Battery burns baby’s throat

A Tauranga baby boy may never speak or breath unassisted after the 8-month-old swallowed a button battery.

The infant’s mother Amanda Hacche says “baby Devon may never breath independently again and he will remain without a voice”.

Four days after ingesting the lithium-ion battery in December, baby Devon was admitted to the peadiatric intensive care unit at Starship hospital in Auckland. Hacche had earlier taken Devon to see a doctor at Accident and Emergency, who suspected bronchitis.

When swallowed, the battery reacted with saliva/gastric fluids and caused an electro-chemical reaction. In turn, it caused deep corrosion burns.

Devon has undergone at least five surgeries to remove and repair the burned tissue.

For more information, visit www.thebatterycontrolled.co.nz

Greg Wattam
Greg has had a radio career spanning over 20 years. He has worked in China, the USA, Australia and New Zealand. Greg started his career at Radio Windy in Wellington and was on the first privately-owned FM radio station in Hawkes Bay. He is also an award-winning chef.
RELATED ARTICLES
Continue to the category

Most Popular

Recent Comments