An Independent Police Conduct Authority investigation is underway after a man was shot dead by police earlier this evening in Auckland’s CBD.
According to a release from Auckland Police, officers were called to Myers Park by the man at 7:23 pm. Upon arrival, police officers were told by the man that he was armed, and police made a call for armed officers to help.
Auckland City District Commander, Superintendent Richard Chambers, says police engaged in verbal negotiations with the man but were unsuccessful. The man was fatally shot at 7:45 pm, after he said that he was about to use the firearm.
Attempts to provide immediate medical assistance failed, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Social media was active with city dwellers reporting the sound of up to five gunshots. There were also reports that Myers Park and surrounding areas had been cordoned off by police:
Police outside in Myers Park. pic.twitter.com/Tc01T1J4pV
— David Tong (@Davidxvx) August 2, 2015
Earlier reports said that a homicide investigation was in place in Myers Park, with surrounding areas in lock down.
Police remain at the scene.