Day 1 of the 2017 National Football League (NFL) Draft is officially in the books.
Philadelphia is hosting this season’s edition of the draft, with the prestigious event back in the ‘City of Brotherly Love’ for the first time since 1961.
Newsbeat Journalist, Reece Labuschagne, recaps all the notable picks, trades and controversial moments of the day’s events.
The Cleveland Browns had the first pick in the draft, selecting defensive end, Myles Garrett. Most experts had the Texas A&M star and two-time All-American as their number one prospect, with his freakish athletic ability and huge upside making him a once in a generation kind of player.
There was speculation that Cleveland could take hometown boy Mitchell Trubisky, however, it was the Chicago Bears who picked the North Carolina quarterback second overall, after exchanging picks with the San Francisco 49ers.
Much was made of the quality and depth of defensive players in the draft class, but it was the offensive players that teams seemed to be prioritizing early on.
Three wide receivers went in the first nine picks, with Corey Davis (Tennessee Titans), Mike Williams (Los Angeles Chargers) and John Ross (Cincinnati Bengals) off the board sooner than most expected.
The only two running backs taken were that of Leonard Fournette (Jacksonville Jaguars) and Christian McCaffrey (Carolina Panthers) fourth and eighth overall. Stanford alumnus, and Heisman Trophy runner-up McCaffrey, is the first white running back to be drafted in the first round since 1992. The all-purpose back will certainly add speed and athleticism to what is a powerful Panthers backfield.
Two of the bigger trade deals of day both came from teams seeking quarterbacks. The Kansas City Chiefs traded up and exchanged first-round picks with the Buffalo Bills, as well as giving up a third-round pick, and their 2018 first-round pick. This meant with the tenth overall pick, the Chiefs selected Texas Tech’s quarterback, Patrick Mahomes II.
The Houston Texans on the other hand, exchanged picks with the Cleveland Browns, as well as giving up their 2018 first-round pick, to select Clemson Tigers quarterback, Deshaun Watson with the twelfth overall pick.
The first offensive tackle taken came in the form of Garett Bolles, selected twentieth overall by the Denver Broncos. The Utah alumnus managed to perform all the typical draftee ‘duties’, while still carrying his five-month-old son, Kingston, in what was a touching moment.
Atlanta Falcons twenty-sixth overall pick, Takkarist McKinley, shared an equally heart-warming moment, taking a framed picture of his late grandmother on stage with him after hearing his name called. The UCLA linebacker instantly won hearts everywhere after an emotional speech, including dropping an ‘F’ bomb.
One of the more controversial selections of the day was that of Ohio State player Gareon Conley. The defensive back is facing allegations of rape, made just days before the draft. Following the news, it was projected he would fall out of the first-round, but the despite the accusations, the Oakland Raiders took Conley with the twenty-fourth overall pick.
Alabama linebacker Rueben Foster is another who saw his draft stock fall because of off-field issues, taken later than initially anticipated, thirty-first overall by the San Francisco 49ers. While troubled running backs Dalvin Cook and Joe Mixon fell out of the first-round all together.
Day 2 of the draft promises a lot more of action and excitement. Keep an eye out for players like Dalvin Cook and Joe Mixon to go early, along with Forrest Lamp, Cam Robinson, and Malik McDowell.
OFFICIAL 2017 NFL DRAFT SELECTIONS;
1. Myles Garrett DE (Cleveland Browns)
2. Mitchell Trubisky QB (Chicago Bears)
3. Solomon Thomas DE (San Francisco 49ers)
4. Leonard Fournette RB (Jacksonville Jaguars)
5. Corey Davis WR (Tennessee Titans)
6. Jamal Adams SS (New York Jets)
7. Mike Williams WR (Los Angeles Chargers)
8. Christian McCaffrey RB/WR (Carolina Panthers)
9. John Ross WR (Cincinnati Bengals)
10. Patrick Mahomes II QB (Kansas City Chiefs)
11. Marshon Lattimore DB (New Orleans Saints)
12. Deshaun Watson QB (Houston Texans)
13. Haason Reddick LB (Arizona Cardinals)
14. Derek Barnett DE (Philadelphia Eagles)
15. Malik Hooker SS (Indianapolis Colts)
16. Marlon Humphrey DB (Baltimore Ravens)
17. Jonathan Allen DE (Washington Redskins)
18. Adoree’ Jackson DB (Tennessee Titans)
19. O.J Howard TE (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
20. Garett Bolles OT (Denver Broncos)
21. Jarrad Davis LB (Detroit Lions)
22. Charles Harris DE (Miami Dolphins)
23. Evan Engram TE (New York Giants)
24. Gareon Conley DB (Oakland Raiders)
25. Jabrill Peppers S (Cleveland Browns)
26. Takkarist McKinley OLB (Atlanta Falcons)
27. Tre’Davious White (Buffalo Bills)
28. Taco Charlton DE (Dallas Cowboys)
29. David Njoku TE (Cleveland Browns)
30. T.J Watt LB (Pittsburgh Steelers)
31. Rueben Foster LB (San Francisco 49ers)
32. Ryan Ramczyk OL (New Orleans Saints)